Submit :
News                      Photos                     Just In                     Debate Topic                     Latest News                    Articles                    Local News                    Blog Posts                     Pictures                    Reviews                    Recipes                    
2G scam case verdict: Court acquits all including A Raja and Kanimozhi for lack of evidence
The Patiala House Court in Delhi today pronounced the verdict on the 2G scam case acquitting all including former telecom minister during UPA-II regime, A Raja, and current Member of Parliament in Rajya Sabha MK Kanimozhi.

The 2G scam which came to light in 2010, has been widely considered as the biggest scam in independent India during the tenure of the Congress-led United Progressive Alliance government. The Time magazine had termed the scam as the biggest abuse of power in the world after Watergate, which had compelled the erstwhile US President Richard Nixon to resign.

Special judge Om Prakash Saini pronounced the court's judgement on Thursday on separate cases filed by the Central Bureau of Investigation and the Enforcement Directorate.

While acquitting all the accused in the case, special CBI judge OP Saini stated that the prosecution had "failed to prove charges beyond reasonable doubt".

The accused in the case who have been now acquitted include former telecom minister A Raja; Raja's then private secretary RK Chandolia; DMK MP Kanimozhi; former telecom secretary Siddharth Behura; promoters of Swan Telecom, Shahid Usman Balwa and Vinod Goenka; MD of Unitech Ltd Sanjay Chandra; directors of Kusegaon Fruits and Vegetables Pvt Ltd, Asif Balwa and Rajiv Agarwal; three top directors of Reliance Anil Dhirubhai Ambani Group, namely Gautam Doshi, Surendra Pipara and Hari Nair; director of Kalaignar TV, Sharad Kumar; and Bollywood producer Karim Morani.

Reacting to the acquittal of the accused in the 2G scam case, former Prime Minister Manmohan Singh said, "This was a massive propaganda against the UPA without any proof." This court judgment brings a lot of relief to Singh, who had been accused by the BJP for allowing such a scam to take place right under his nose.

According to a CNBC TV18 report, the CBI may not move the High Court in the case, however, an official statement is still awaited from the agency.

In the meanwhile, senior BJP leader Subramanian Swamy, who had exposed the multi-crore 2G spectrum allocation scam., on Thursday said that the government must immediately move the High Court challenging the acquittal.

Just moments after a special CBI court acquitted all the 19 accused in the Rs 30,000 crore 2G scam case, Swamy tweeted: "Government must prove its bonafides by filing an immediate appeal in High Court."

While dwelling upon the example of former Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa's acquittal by the Karnataka High Court in the disproportionate assets case, which was later overturned by the Supreme Court, Swami warned against premature celebrations.

Email Id
Verification Code
Email me on reply to my comment
Email me when other CJs comment on this article
Sign in to set your preference
merinews for RTI activists

Not finding what you are looking for? Search here.